When the holiday and new year parties are over it’s usually a very good idea get to work and repair some minor damage that we have done to our body (and for some of us our mind as well). Most people tend to gain a few pounds during the holidays. Some of us also come away with a slight feeling of depression…we had a great time, a little vacation for many, and now it’s back to the norm. Not only that, we tend to digest a mix of unhealthy foods and drinks that are not the norm. Even if you are health conscious it is difficult to avoid some of the special holiday foods. And we usually take second helpings! It’s also our natural tendency to bend or forget some of the rules of healthy eating.
The good news is we can regain our health and get back on track! We can take simple steps to gain back our health and overall balance. The first step and best way to do this is through a Body Cleanse.
Cleansing and Detoxifying your body is essential to regain your energy. And it does not have to be difficult or stressful to do so. With a few simple steps and some focus you can get your health back on track and feel great in the process.
So how do we go about doing this?
I am going to divide cleansing into three areas: 1) short-term cleansing; 2) longer-term intensive cleansing: and 3)mental cleansing & stress reduction
I. Short Term Cleansing – There are several ways to do this. Basically a short term cleanse usually lasts from 3 – 10 days. There are 3 ways in which I recommend a short term cleanse
1) Fasting – A simple 3 – 5 day juice fast can be a simple and effective way to cleanse your body of holiday toxins. Green organic juice is a great way to go, but you can also do a more intensive cleansing juice fast. Water fasts are not recommended unless you are experienced. Avoiding solid food for several days can help clean out and purify the system. (The more intensive 10 day Master Cleanse is discussed below).
2) Cleansing Kit – There are many 7-10 day natural alkalinewatee cleansing kits that you can buy online and at the natural foods store. These kits require a specific diet, but you can still eat many types of foods. Cleansing kits are a great method for people on the go or to “kit start” your system into a healthy rhythm.
3) Cleansing Diet – Avoiding the “poison foods” (see below) and focusing on the good foods is a great way to live and cleanse yourself. Organic vegetables are a great diet and their alkaline nature will help cleanse your body. There are many great cleansing foods. See my recommended books on my Cleansing & Detox web page for some ideas.
4) Combo of these 3 – Many people that cleanse combine some form of all three of these techniques. Find something that makes sense to you and works with your rhythm. Try a few different ways and find what works for you.
II. Long Term Intensive Cleansing – This is a more intensive process that lasts anywhere from 10-60 days or longer. These are cleanses that require a bit more focus, but they are wonderful if you want or need a deep cleanse and have the time to do so. I will discuss three ways:
1) 10 Day Master Cleanse – This is an extremely popular and effective way to do a deep cleanse. It basically requires a 10 day lemon juice fast (with a few added ingredients) and is very intensive. It requires focus and discipline, but the outcome is great. To do this first read and study, there are specific techniques to do this type of cleanse.
2) 30-60 day Herbal Cleanse – This is less intensive, but requires some discipline to go 30- 60 days. These cleansing kits will do a more intensive cleansing than the short term kits, in particular with Colon cleansing. If you have the time and money give this a try. There are some great cleansing products out there. Do some research or ask a professional.
3) 30-60 day Food Cleanse – This focus is on changing your diet completely. Some people recommend a raw foods diet, others a green foods or alkaline diet. And there are combinations of various foods cleanses. This requires some discipline, but the benefits are great. Do some research on what might work best for you. Remember, the foods you avoid are as important as the foods you eat.
III. Mental Cleansing and Stress Reduction– It is essential that you also work on the mental, spiritual and emotional aspects of yourself. Holiday time and winter time for us in the Northern Hemisphere can bring upon added mental stress, fatigue, depression and other emotional challenges. Here are a few easy tips on what you can do to help:
1) Exercise – Get your muscles moving, get that blood flowing. Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and get the brain moving. A nice daily walk is a great way to start. Get the heart rate up a bit and sweat.